Ousama Itani to give AJ+ spotlight talk at July’s newsrewired
In a digital media landscape where publishers are increasingly leaning towards native storytelling on platforms such as Facebook or Snapchat, some organisations were exclusively set up with this strategy in mind. Among them is AJ+, Al Jazeera’s news channel for millennials, whose approach to social video and success have inspired many.
At newsrewired on 20 July, delegates will hear about what makes AJ+ successful but also about the challenges posed by its distributed news strategy and future changes of direction. Dr. Yaser Bishr, global executive director of strategy and development, Al Jazeera, was initially scheduled to give the talk, but unfortunately his schedule is keeping him in the United States at the time and he can no longer join us.
We are happy to announce Ousama Itani, senior officer, strategy and development division, Al Jazeera, will be giving the talk instead.
As part of the strategy and development division, he researches and experiments with the use of new and alternative technologies in the media industry, including digital-first content, future audio formats, and virtual reality. His VR footage and prototype 3-D 360 camera mount were exhibited at the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC2015).
Newsrewired takes place on 20 July at Reuters HQ, in Canary Wharf, London. The agenda for the day includes panel discussions, practical workshops and spotlight talks on trends and techniques in digital journalism, from making the most of analytics to getting to grips with podcasting, audience engagement and social media newsgathering.
Tickets cost just £165+VAT, and a limited number are available here.
Here are some highlights from the programme:
- Keynote: Kristen Taylor, audience development specialist and former community editor, Serial Season 2
- How to create engaging podcasts and how to monetise them – A session with The Guardian, ShoutOut Network, Reveal and more;
- Editorial analytics: How to use metrics in the newsroom efficiently – Insights from BBC News and Trinity Mirror;
- Why The Times is betting on an editions-based digital strategy;
- Data Hub: With the Guardian, the Financial Times, and more;
- Mobile-first: A workshop analysing the different ways people get news throughout the day, with Nic Newman.
As well as the conference, Journalism.co.uk is also hosting a day of training on 21 July at The Bridge near London Bridge.
Newsrewired+ delegates can choose to attend one of the following courses: advanced online research bootcamp, search engine optimisation for journalists and making podcasts and audio packages. Find out more about newsrewired+ here.
- Announcing Content Insights as the latest newsrewired sponsor
- Digital strategy shake-ups and podcasting: More speakers announced for July’s newsrewired
- New at newsrewired on 11 July: Newsletters, Instagram Stories and podcasts
- Going live in 3, 2, 1: Facebook to give livestreaming workshop at newsrewired
- Welcome to our latest newsrewired sponsor: Social Honey