This time we’re looking at Branding and entrepreneurialism, with Rory Brown, Molly Flatt, Rick Waghorn and Alex Wood, getting advice from those who have already bought the ‘making it on your own’ T-shirt and those who are just taking their first steps as an entrepreneur in the media business. And it’s not just about the individual, or startup – what about long-established news organisations? How should they be balancing and communicating their own business brands with that of their individual journalists? Or is branding really the journalist’s domain at all?
Useful blog posts
- The Independent has this post following an interview with Rick Waghorn: ‘Why the ‘Godfather of Hyperlocal’ is keeping it simple’
- Two useful posts from the Online Journalism Review: ‘Five questions you should ask about your online brand’ and ‘Thinking about starting an online news business?’
- Mark Luckie at 10,000 Words: ‘Five things I’ve learned about building an online brand’
- Professor Jeff Jarvis, director of the new Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism at City University of New York has a great selection of posts on entrepreneurial journalism on his Buzzmachine blog
- It’s from last year but Poynter has this useful post from Vadim Lavrusik: ‘Journalists’ Plan B Should Include Building Your Brand Online’
- Also from last year, Journalism.co.uk featured Adam Westbrook‘s ‘6×6 branding for freelance journalists’
- Back in 2007 Journalism.co.uk interviewed Rick Waghorn about setting up his own news service: ‘I don’t have deadlines – they don’t exist’
- A ‘how to’ on Journalism.co.uk from personal branding expert and founder of Branding Personality Support Marieke Hensel, looking at how journalists should and maybe shouldn’t be using the web to build their own brand
- An archive of articles on Poynter documenting the transformation of entrepreneurial journalism
Issues to discuss
- Where should new media businesses start when it comes to branding and what should be avoided?
- Making the move from being part of an organisation to going it alone – what values/methods are worth keeping and what should be left behind?
- Managing the ‘mini brand’, the image of the news organisation and that of its internal journalists.
- Where should we draw the line in promoting a journalist’s brand online?
Image by coffish on Picasa. Some rights reserved.