#newsrw: 12 tips on tools in the data journalist’s toolkit
Speakers at news:rewired – noise to signal, which was held at Thomson Reuters on Friday, shared numerous tips on tools that are of use to the data journalist.
Here we have picked out the 12 key tools recommended to help journalists develop their data stories.
9. OpenCalais: Thomson Reuters’ “rapidly growing toolkit of capabilities that allow you to readily incorporate state-of-the-art semantic functionality within your blog, content management system, website or application”. Tipster: Kevin Anderson;
11. Maths: “The best bit of your toolkit is understanding a bit of maths.” Tipster: James Ball;
12. Excel spreadsheets: Learn how to manipulate text in Excel. Tipster: Martin Stabe.
- #newsrw: Making sense of the numbers in data journalism
- Speaker presentations: Session 1A – The data journalism toolkit
- LIVE: Session 1A – The data journalism toolkit
- Links: Session 1A – the data journalism toolkit
- Nicolas Kayser-Bril: Simple tips for data-driven journalism
Tags: Alastair Dant, Dipity, Excel, Fusion Tables, Google Docs, James Ball, kevin anderson, ManyEyes, martin stabe, Maths, Open Calais, OUsful Blog, Outwit Hub, simon rogers, spreadsheets, tableau, Thinkmap, Zeemaps