How can diversity help news organisations regain audiences’ trust?
Our team at Journalism.co.uk has spent the last few months talking to industry leaders about the challenges they face. What we have found is that the lack of diversity in the newsroom is one of the most pressing problems for the top players, as well as the B2B publications and local papers.
Why is it still difficult to hire more journalists from BAME backgrounds, but also those who are underprivileged, LGBT or have a disability? And what holds young people from a minority background back from entering the industry?
There is no silver bullet but there are effective tried-and-tested strategies that some news publications have adopted to make their teams more representative of the audiences they are reporting for.
We are in the process of confirming the panel speakers and will announce them as soon as we have their green light.
There is a limited number of early-bird tickets available now for £140 +VAT – book before Friday 5 May 2019. After this date, they will be available at full price (£190 +VAT).
Other sessions and workshops we are planning:
- How to grow your audience beyond loyal subscribers to build a sustainable revenue model
- Beyond the shiny new things: devising and driving fundamental transformation in your news organisation
- Workshop: developing a meaningful relationship with the data
- How mobile journalism is empowering citizen reporters, plus the latest tips and tricks to up your own mojo skills
- …and much more
Pre-agenda booking prize draw
Book your Newsrewired or Newsrewired+ ticket before 5 May for a chance win a Memory Mic from Sennheiser worth £169.99. The winner will be announced on 7 May 2019. Good luck!
If you would like to suggest a session or a talk, or to sponsor the event, please get in touch by emailing email@example.com
- Newsrewired November 2019: early agenda announced
- New speaker announcement: Marverine Cole joins panel on diversity in the newsroom
- New speaker joins panel on diversity in the newsroom
- Save the date: The next news:rewired will take place on Friday 13 July
- A first look at what’s on the agenda for news:rewired – full stream ahead, Friday 13 July